three and a half minutes with… Pepe Reina
Numbers 10, 26 and 30. Vintage Pepe Reina humor, in this questionnaire.
1. What makes you angry? Those things that bother my family.
2. How much are chickens these days? In England, four chickens cost six pounds.
3. Do you have good handwriting? It’s not the most brilliant thing.
4. Does your cousin carry a risk (a play on words on the phrase “prima de riesgo” – risk premium – since “prima” also means female cousin)? I have many. And yes, some of them do have risks.
5. Why do we close our eyes when we sneeze? It’s physically inevitable.
6. How many goals has Villa scored for Spain? 51. A lot.
7. Where is the Antiguo neighborhood? Xabi Alonso is from the Antiguo neighborhood, in San Sebastián.
8. Have you tried Iniesta’s wine? Yes, it’s very full-bodied.
9. What position did Mata’s father play? As a midfielder, I believe.
10. What is the purpose of a crankshaft? To attract the storks? [“Crankshaft” is “cigüeñal” in Spanish and “stork” is “cigüeña.”]
11. Why does the government rescue banks and forget people? I understand very little about politics, much less the economy.
12. How many games did Toni Grande play with the national team? I don’t know, I don’t know if he played with the team…
13. How often does Del Bosque touch up his mustache? Ask him!
14. What team did Lato play for? Who is Lato?
15. Where is Auschwitz? In Poland.
16. What do Poland and Cataluña have in common? The people are both called polacos, no?
17. Who is Lech Walesa? I don’t know.
18. How much do you spend on gas a month? Buf, a lot. With the crisis, in England it’s very expensive.
19. On what day do the Sanfermines start? July 6.
20. Where do you like to go on vacation? To Ibiza, like I do now, but to the more remote areas.
21. When was the last time you took a private plane? Two months ago.
22. Who was Belauste? A former player on the national team?
24. What is a flanker? How would I know?
25. What does it mean to pull a Karanka? I don’t know… it should be something like being obligated to do a press conference.
26. How much did Iker Casillas weigh when he was born? A lot. With that head that he has… it should have weighed as much as he did.
27. How many of Liverpool’s supporters died in Hillsborough in 1989? 96.
28. What is the secret of La Roja? The humility.
29. Where do you go to have a beer? In La Latina [Madrid]. In Liverpool, I normally have them at home.
30. What did Pedro Picapiedra (Fred Flintstone) work as? He works as a photographer for the federation, and goes by the name Carmelo.
31. Why do footballers spit so much during games? Because they produce a lot of saliva from the effort.
32. Who killed the solider Pilecki? A bad person.
33. What is the purpose of twitter? I don’t know, I don’t use it. To give opinions, no?
34. What happened with your controversy with Iñaki Gabilondo (this is a question posed by a humorist many years ago; Gabilondo is a journalist and anchor)? I didn’t have any controversy with Gabilondo.